Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Work Journal: 9/12/07

I had the day off work today because the other kennel worker was sick yesterday and I took her shift as well as mine...But the vet tech wanted me to come in and photograph his dog that he needs to find another home for, so I came in with my camera this afternoon.

"I meant to call you!" he said, "I don't need you to photograph her afterall, sorry."

"That's ok," I said, "I need to photograph the new strays for the website anyway."

I went in, and was greeted by the secretary who said, right away, "She's having her babies!"

...

Two days ago I came in to work and was told about a sweet little stray that had just been brought in, muddy and tangled. They didn't know whether it was a boy or a girl so I went out to check so it could go on the record. I went to the outdoor kennels and was greeted by the wagging tail of a sweet mostly cream-colored pekingese mix. "Hi, sweetheart!" I said as I opened the kennel door. I bent down and picked her up...noticing right away that she had a very fim, very round belly. I took her inside and showed her to the vet, who said she was very likely pregnant.

I went up front and told the girls at the desk. "Oh, no," one said, "We can't keep puppies and a momma here for six weeks..." We went and talked to the vet again, who said that since it's policy that an animal HAS to be spayed or neutered if it's adopted, they'd have to terminate the pregnancy in the event of her adoption. If she wasn't adopted, she AND her unborn babies would be put down. It was sad, but it had to be done. We agreed that she'd be put in the paper right away as an adoptable critter, since she had apparently been abandoned for two weeks before being brought to the clinic. I also mentioned that I'd gladly take her home and let her raise those puppies.

I worked all day yesterday, and spent extra time with the sweety I temporarily named Dory, mostly trying to cut all the knots out of her fur...and falling in love with her. I could tell she felt discomfort when I picked her up, and when I let her walk around, she seemed to be looking for little nooks to settle in....still, I hoped she was still a week or two away from giving birth.

...

So, back to today. I went and saw the sweety, and she had two new babies with her and from the bulge still left in her belly, a third could be coming. I was so proud watching her care for them. I talked to her and pet her and kissed her. And then the secretary walked in and said, "Are you going to take her? Otherwise we need to put the puppies down."

"I'll call my mother," I said.

I spoke with Mom and then called my dad and explained the situation. He reluctantly agreed to let me foster the momma and babies.

I take them home tomorrow. YAY!

Unfortunately, I also found out that there was another mass put-down today. Dogs Seven, Goldie, Scarlet, Riggs, Roger, and two distrusting shepherds as well as cats Willow, and a feral kitty are no longer with us. I have let them all into my heart and plan on seeing them with all the other pets I've lost in heaven.

1 Comments:

Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Are we going to get to see photos of your new "family"?

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home