Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Christianity, Homosexuality

I was browsing through Christian designs on CafePress.com, and I was disappointed to discover some blunt, and offensive graphics in these Christian shops. There was a shirt that said, “Gay men must be blind.” Now, why would this offend me, a straight Christian woman? Because it’s blatantly hypocritical. The bible indeed says that homosexuality is a sin, but so is gossip, vanity, premarital sex, and swearing. And you know what? They all measure exactly the same. After all, if some sins were worse than others, why would Jesus have died for all of our sins, if only some were bad enough to be damning?

Are we not supposed to love all of our fellow humans, just as God does? Do we not all sin every day? Are there not gay Christians? The answer to all of these questions is of course! Who are we, ourselves sinners, to judge another? It is ineffective and wrong to make such a direct and insulting t-shirt like, “Gay men must be blind” instead of taking a higher road and loving one’s fellow man no matter what and showing them the way to salvation. We all sin, and we all must ask forgiveness for our sins, and we must right our own wrongs before pointing out the wrongs in others. One will see it’s so much more rewarding just to love rather than waste so much energy on negative feelings toward people one likely does not even know, in return generating negative feelings toward oneself, making all attempts to force one’s version of the Truth on another completely futile.

I want to add to this rant some of my feelings on homosexuality so I can be better understood. I believe the act of homosexuality is a sin. I believe making the choice to kiss or have sexual relations with a member of the same sex is a sin. However, I do not believe people make the choice to be gay and I do not judge homosexuals. I have gay friends, in fact. I want to restate the fact that swearing is also a conscious choice and measures the same as choosing to have a homosexual relationship. Maybe the next time a straight homophobic Christian makes the choice to gossip about a neighbor or swear after a bad golf swing, can come to the realization that they are exactly the same as those “sinning homosexuals” that disgust them so much. Maybe at that moment they will ask our Lord for forgiveness….and the ability to be open enough to love and share His word with anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home