Wednesday, November 14, 2007

November 14

I know, I know, I just keep getting worse at updating my blog. The truth is, I often WANT to blog, but I can rarely get words to form cohesively from my many over analyzed thoughts. So let's just get down to it before I erase what I've already written, mmkay?

It is with just a twinge of regret that I announce this: I have given up on NaNoWriMo this year. It just wasn't working. I had the plot, I had the character, I had the background, I even had the outline, but when it came time to sit down and write my novel, it just didn't come out properly. I wanted The Time Catcher to be a wondrous collection of contemplation, experience, and imagery, but instead it was a forced string of words amounting to nothing but frayed half-thoughts and I didn't even see it as salvageable at 5500 words.

Yes, I did come up with another idea and easily matched The Time Catcher's word count, but I felt absolutely nothing for the story, and I wasn't having fun. NaNoWriMo is meant to be a joyous month of insanity....and I felt more like I was headed for the loony bin, ripping out clumps of my own hair. So, I gave it up, and I'm OK with that.

Next year, perhaps.

Since my last post, I turned 21 years old. It wasn't a particularly exciting day, but I enjoyed it. I did manage to get the day off, and I spent the time relaxing in the company of my parents. I had some wine, played some games, had my favorite supper (Parsley Chicken!), an awesome cake with a camera on it in frosting, and opened presents.

People ask me if I feel like I'm 21. The truth is, I think I feel a bit older in some ways, and just about 21 in others. It's nice to have my adulthood official, although I think I'll have to endure the surprise of strangers when they find out I'm not 15 for a few more years. Even when I work, some customers think I'm the boss' grand kid or something which is why I 'help out' sometimes.

One factor that may not help this is that I just put bright pink/red highlights in my hair. I couldn't help it, I get bored with my hair a lot and I didn't want to cut it shorter, I'm actually trying to grow it out. People tell me I give off a 'goth' vibe anyway, so might as well go all the way, right? I do like the highlights, they're....stimulating.

And now, before I bid you all goodbye for what I fear will be at least another week (now watch, I'll probably update every day...), I wanted to share a dream of mine I had recently. My first truly lucid dream that I can remember having:

I was in my back yard and I was petting my dog, Perky (who is dead), over by the office building we have....I became a little bit aware of my situation, I realized Perky was dead, and so she kind of turned to an inky black form and faded away.I decided to go sit in the grass by the tree in the middle of the yard. The grass was green where Perky was, but it was brown by the tree. I sat down and put my hands in the grass...and suddenly everything was covered in a layer of snow and I said to myself, "I'm having a lucid dream, I can do whatever I want.."

To test and make sure, I told myself I was going to do a back flip. I almost second guessed myself but made myself hold on to the fact that I was in control. The flip felt slow and safe, like I was under water. When I landed, I pushed as hard as I could off the ground telling myself I wanted to be in the heavens....and there I was. I looked down and there was nothing but velvety sky, dotted with stars beneath my feet. I smiled and thought how beautiful it was...and then it was over.

It was amazing.

Have a good week, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home