No Plot? Yeah...That's a Problem
As you all know, I'm VERY excited for NaNoWriMo. I've been participating in and reading the forums, spreading the word a bit, trying to organize meetings, but there's something missing in my preparation for November. A PLOT!
I have absolutely no idea what to write about! I tell myself that I want to do a fantasy/adventure, but beyond that? Nothing. Not an inkling. I'm trying to avoid the long list of fantasy cliche's like the farm boy that turns out to be a king, the beautiful Elven Maiden, the prophesy, the mentor, and so on. I think it's making me paranoid, but I want to be original. People have suggested plots for me, but that's not what I want. Why would I want to write a story that didn't come from my head? It just wouldn't feel right.
To all you writers out there, do you have any tips? I know characterizations and that kind of thing are often rooted in the authors personal experiences. I know that it helps to just relax and let it come. I know that reading a lot really helps when writing, but still I'm blank. I'd rather not go into NaNoWriMo completely unprepared because I truly, truly want to finish. I want this to be a month of accomplishment and excitement, not one of broken thoughts and frustration, so any advice you have would be helpful.
Believe me, I realize that no matter what I write in 30 days it ain't gonna be a masterpiece, but I'd love to have something with a beginning, middle, and end!
I have absolutely no idea what to write about! I tell myself that I want to do a fantasy/adventure, but beyond that? Nothing. Not an inkling. I'm trying to avoid the long list of fantasy cliche's like the farm boy that turns out to be a king, the beautiful Elven Maiden, the prophesy, the mentor, and so on. I think it's making me paranoid, but I want to be original. People have suggested plots for me, but that's not what I want. Why would I want to write a story that didn't come from my head? It just wouldn't feel right.
To all you writers out there, do you have any tips? I know characterizations and that kind of thing are often rooted in the authors personal experiences. I know that it helps to just relax and let it come. I know that reading a lot really helps when writing, but still I'm blank. I'd rather not go into NaNoWriMo completely unprepared because I truly, truly want to finish. I want this to be a month of accomplishment and excitement, not one of broken thoughts and frustration, so any advice you have would be helpful.
Believe me, I realize that no matter what I write in 30 days it ain't gonna be a masterpiece, but I'd love to have something with a beginning, middle, and end!



1 Comments:
Well, to get to 50,00 we have to write nearly 1,667 words day, so, yeah, no plot, big problem.
I'm in the same boat. I had an amazing start of an outline for a sci-fi piece, but something just isn't right about it so I put it aside and maybe I'll do it next year. As for this year...
*crickets chirp*
Post a Comment
<< Home