Sunday, August 20, 2006

You Know You're A Photographer When...

...You go to the fair for the sole purpose of taking pictures.

Ah, the fair. Only two years ago, the county fair was a place I went with friends, the desperate hope lingering in my mind that I'd meet a boy and have that romantic night at the carnival, holding hands, him winning me a stuffed animal.

What a load.

That kind of thing never happened to me, no matter how pretty I tried to make myself and how "cool" I was with my friends. I just wasn't one of those girls. It was frustrating and disappointing.

This year, as I walked onto the fairgrounds with my father, I saw all the glammed-up high school girls, always together in a group, all obviously hoping for that night of innocent romance, and I said to my dad, "I am so glad I don't care what I look like here anymore." I wasn't wearing my best shirt, I didn't have my hair in it's best 'do, and my make up was nothing special; in fact my shirt had a couple of noticeable sewn-up holes, my hair was a little flat, and I hadn't touched up my make-up since about noon. I didn't look bad, and I didn't look hot. I looked like me and it felt wonderful to just be the way I am. Besides, I was on a mission to take some purdy pictures!

I've grown up a lot since graduating high school. I've always been a little more mature than my peers, but it feels like the loose ends of the hormonal cesspool that is the teen years have been tied up, and it's wonderful. Would I like a cute little romance at the fair? Maybe. But as my dad and I stood in line for the ferris wheel (I wanted some arial shots) and watched as a boy siliently got up the courage to hold his girl's hand, I was so glad that I wasn't faced with that nerve-wracking experience. It was pretty cute how he nervously brushed her hand with his own before finally making his move though.

Yeah. Anyway.

I got some pretty cool photos taken tonight. One that stands out like crazy, and is the best by far is below. I took this one from the ferris wheel:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home