Friday, October 06, 2006

NaNoWriMo Time!

November is rapidly approaching and it's going to be a big month for me. For one thing, I'll be turning the big Two-Oh...a scary thought. That means in only ten years....I'll be THIRTY. And I still live with my parents. But that's a whole other blog.

Another exciting thing is that my cousin, The Subdefective will be staying with us for the majority of the month, at the end of which, we will drive her back home to Texas and celebrate Thanksgiving with her family. I think she and I will have a lot of fun together, we are strangely alike considering we were raised in different states, only seeing eachother once or twice a year. I really think it has something to do with the fact that our mothers are twin sisters...Anyway, we both love Harry Potter, books, Pirates of the Caribbean, taking pictures, and writing and we have the same sarcastic and quirky sense of humor. We're a couple of geeks. And we're proud of it.

And, finally, the reason for the blog, is the fact that both my cousin and I will be participating in this years National Novel Writing Month. We are taking on the challenge of completing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. A daunting task, but a fun adventure as well. By no means is the potential completed novel expected to be anywhere near perfect. In fact the website points out that the majority of it is likely to be crap. But the point is to just get it done; to not worry about making things perfect and performing edit after edit until one is too frustrated with oneself that one gives up. One.

So, my cousin and I will likely be hunched over our laptops, frantic, with bloodshot eyes for the majority of the month, but I think it'll be worth it.

I'm pretty sure I will post my progress on this blog as I go, as well as submit it to the NaNoWriMo site for word-count. I hope you'll go on this journey with me, root me on, and maybe find a glimmer of art, of literary beauty in the slew of crap that is sure to be my 30-day novel.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Won't we look lovely with bloodshot eyes??? Can't wait till November! It's gonna be fun! You may not recognize me though... that's a whole other blog there though.

11:10 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

A 50,000-word novel in 30 days--what a daunting project! Best of luck to you and your cousin!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home