Sunday, June 10, 2007

Pepsi's Big Day

On Saturday, my dad and I did yard work. There is a little froggy fountain out front surrounded by rocks we have taken home from our many vacations to Colorado, all of it sitting atop, and surrounded by a bed of wood chips. My mother wants just the fountain in that area now, and to have some Alyssum planted there, so Dad and I went to work loading up all the Colorado rocks and arranging them around a lantern we acquired and placed in the back yard recently. We cleaned out the wood chips, brought up and spread out some dirt, and sowed some Alyssum seeds.

It was hard work, especially in the heat. The whole time we were going back and fourth from the front yard to the back, my faithful little dog, Pepsi, followed. Back and forth, back and forth she went, frolicking in the sun as we worked. Once we were done, I stayed outside to relax and Pepsi stayed with me. She sat in the shade, ran around the yard, barked at the neighbor dog...she was just so busy!

Then evening came, we were all inside now, my mother making a pizza for herself and my dad, me waiting my turn for the oven to make some chicken sandwiches for myself. Mom dropped a pepperoni, and I called Pepsi to get a taste of a "nummy-num." Normally, just the phrase would have her running, but she didn't come. I called and I called, and then I went upstairs to look for her.

She was under my bed, refusing to come out. I couldn't see that she was guarding any food, so I reached under and gently pulled her out. She screamed in resistance. I brought her downstairs, but the moment I let her go, she was back upstairs and hiding under the bed. My baby. The one that can't let me out of her sight. This was unusual. And concerning.

I followed her upstairs and got down on the floor. I reached under the bed and just pet her a while, and checking to see if she was hurt. Eventually I coaxed her back out and she snuggled up on my shoulder. I carried her back to the kitchen and put her down to see if she wanted a "nummy-num" but she just wanted me to hold her. I was scared.

Did she ingest some of that weed killer Dad sprayed today? I wondered.

She felt weak. And she didn't want me to let her go. I made my supper one-handed, holding my baby on my shoulder. Once my food was ready I took her with me to the living room and she curled up on my lap, uninterested in the lovely chicken I had just made. I kept my hand on her little body to keep track of her breathing, and I was alert to any changes in her sweet little face.

After a few minutes, her ears finally perked up a little, and she was interested in my food. I gave her little bits of chicken and she ate while still on my lap. Later on I lay on the couch watching television and she snuggled up next to me and slept deeply. I guess she just had too much sun that day, worked her little body too hard. I'll have to watch her activity outdoors better next time, because seeing my little Pepsi like that was scary!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home