Collecting...
Here’s my first attempt, folks, I’m going to do my best to make the topics interesting and true to my opinion…bear with me!
Growing up, and even now still, I see commercials offering the purchase of limited edition coins. This is something I’ve never understood. My grandfather is a coin collector, and I can see the allure, but I guess the whole concept of money is a little beyond me. Let me explain…
In my own little head, I can imagine a world where money is not a part of society, where people work to better that society and in return are able to live comfortably. I realize that this is a completely impossible ideal. Even before conventional money, people traded the things they had to get the things they needed. It was always a “this for that” kind of life. It’s human it seems, but wouldn’t it be nice if we all just worked to better the world and better each other? There would be no poverty, no starvation! What an unreachable ideal.
But I digress. Back to this gold coin business. It seems to me that collecting said coins is simply a personal validation of one’s wealth. After all, collectors tend to keep their coins stashed away somewhere, only to be shared with a select few. So, if your not going to spend or sell the coin, how does it have value? I’m not talking about coins from history or rare foreign gold, but the kind one buys of the television, the kind that never had any value in the mint. I suppose this is the hypocrisy of a lot of collectors. I mean, what’s the value of a beanie baby these days?
Growing up, and even now still, I see commercials offering the purchase of limited edition coins. This is something I’ve never understood. My grandfather is a coin collector, and I can see the allure, but I guess the whole concept of money is a little beyond me. Let me explain…
In my own little head, I can imagine a world where money is not a part of society, where people work to better that society and in return are able to live comfortably. I realize that this is a completely impossible ideal. Even before conventional money, people traded the things they had to get the things they needed. It was always a “this for that” kind of life. It’s human it seems, but wouldn’t it be nice if we all just worked to better the world and better each other? There would be no poverty, no starvation! What an unreachable ideal.
But I digress. Back to this gold coin business. It seems to me that collecting said coins is simply a personal validation of one’s wealth. After all, collectors tend to keep their coins stashed away somewhere, only to be shared with a select few. So, if your not going to spend or sell the coin, how does it have value? I’m not talking about coins from history or rare foreign gold, but the kind one buys of the television, the kind that never had any value in the mint. I suppose this is the hypocrisy of a lot of collectors. I mean, what’s the value of a beanie baby these days?
Labels: blogitive, collecting, gold coin, opinion, value



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home