Sunday, May 14, 2006

Unsettled and Unsure

My parents and I made the trip to pick up our newly adopted cat, Mia on Saturday. I've been excited to see her and welcome her into our home, but let me tell you, the reality is turning out to be a little tougher than I thought.

She was described by her foster mother as being a little people shy. I took this as meaning Mia was a timid at first but had a sweet demeanor when she warmed up a bit. Well, that's not quite the case. Mia is very spooky and shy. She hides in corners and dark cramped areas, and scratches like no other when we try to pick her up. She does allow us to pet her, but only if she's backed into a wall, and not without hissing at us first. She hasn't really eaten yet, and we're pretty sure she hasn't gone to the bathroom. We had to confine her on our enclosed porch with her food and litter box because we wouldn't be able to keep her from hiding all over the house.

It's been a very stressful couple of days trying to make Mia feel comfortable and at home. I've discovered that she loves being brushed, but when she catches herself getting too friendly, she backs up into a corner again. There are points when she will get scared or mad and claw, and we are no where near the point of safely picking her up. I got her to eat a very small amount of cat food today, but no water and still no litter box. It's emotionally tough on me, just trying to be patient with her and tediously earn her trust. I worry that she will never reach the point when we can just hold her or even approach her without a hiss or a startled reaction.

Our cat Dharma is very unsure about Mia and that is also tough for me. She is cautious around her and hisses at the sight of her. Last night Mia jumped up onto the perch we made on the porch window sill where Dharma sat, and Dharma had a fit. I had never heard her yowl like that before. I realize that she's just not used to the presence and smell of this new cat and I know her feelings aren't hurt, but my sensitivity and immeasurable love for my animals makes me hurt for her and feel guilty that her life has been disrupted. I feel sad that Mia is constantly on high alert and that she can't trust anyone. I'm bothered that she doesn't eat yet and that she hisses at the sight of me. I worry that this may not work.

I also feel personal guilt about the small disruption Mia's adoption has caused. I'm the one that pushed the subject, I'm the one that insisted we adopt her. I'm the one that thought it was meant to be. I thought that we could use Stormy's tragic death as an opportunity to give love to another needy animal and I couldn't wait to find that animal. What if I was wrong? What if Mia will never accept our love? What if Dharma never gets used to her? What if I caused all of this stress in a selfish and futile attempt to fill the holes that were left in my heart after losing two wonderful pets within three months?

Will this work? I don't know...

Will I try my best to make it work? Absolutely.

1 Comments:

Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Give Mia some time. She's in a strange house with strange people. It will probably all work out in the end. Patience!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home