...With The Flow...
My apologies. This one's pretty pathetic.
I'm still feeling the writer's block. Not so much with the fiction, but with expressing my own thoughts, or even interpreting the thoughts I want to express. Lately, the things that are going through my head are too boring, too complicated, or too personal to share at this point in time. I want something to go off on a rant with, I want something to spark my interest, I want to exhibit passion with my words. It's become such an addiction that I don't know what to do with myself when there's a period of "dead air."
Maybe I need to just stop looking and take in what's around me. I need to stop specifically searching for something to spark the Blogger Within and just let it come on its own. I should be looking at my writing in terms of quality rather than quantity and stop feeling obligated to post once or more a day and instead, post when I feel I have something real to say.
Maybe I should focus on the fiction, too. Last night a friend of mine told me about a dream he had, and the whole concept of it was very cinematic and adventurous. He told me to feel free to write on the idea and I think I will. It might be just what I need to get my brain back on track and produce something worthwhile to my countless readers (har). The subject requires some research as well, so perhaps I'll stumble across something interesting to ramble with doing that too.
And maybe I should stop saying "maybe" and just get on with it. Yeah, maybe. Just maybe.
I'm still feeling the writer's block. Not so much with the fiction, but with expressing my own thoughts, or even interpreting the thoughts I want to express. Lately, the things that are going through my head are too boring, too complicated, or too personal to share at this point in time. I want something to go off on a rant with, I want something to spark my interest, I want to exhibit passion with my words. It's become such an addiction that I don't know what to do with myself when there's a period of "dead air."
Maybe I need to just stop looking and take in what's around me. I need to stop specifically searching for something to spark the Blogger Within and just let it come on its own. I should be looking at my writing in terms of quality rather than quantity and stop feeling obligated to post once or more a day and instead, post when I feel I have something real to say.
Maybe I should focus on the fiction, too. Last night a friend of mine told me about a dream he had, and the whole concept of it was very cinematic and adventurous. He told me to feel free to write on the idea and I think I will. It might be just what I need to get my brain back on track and produce something worthwhile to my countless readers (har). The subject requires some research as well, so perhaps I'll stumble across something interesting to ramble with doing that too.
And maybe I should stop saying "maybe" and just get on with it. Yeah, maybe. Just maybe.



2 Comments:
Shelly, I think you will enjoy these comments on writing from Henri Nouwen:
Writing to Save the Day
Writing can be a true spiritual discipline. Writing can help us to concentrate, to get in touch with the deeper stirrings of our hearts, to clarify our minds, to process confusing emotions, to reflect on our experiences, to give artistic expression to what we are living, and to store significant events in our memories. Writing can also be good for others who might read what we write.
Quite often a difficult, painful, or frustrating day can be "redeemed" by writing about it. By writing we can claim what we have lived and thus integrate it more fully into our journeys. Then writing can become lifesaving for us and sometimes for others too.
Writing, Opening a Deep Well
Writing is not just jotting down ideas. Often we say: "I don't know what to write. I have no thoughts worth writing down." But much good writing emerges from the process of writing itself. As we simply sit down in front of a sheet of paper and start to express in words what is on our minds or in our hearts, new ideas emerge, ideas that can surprise us and lead us to inner places we hardly knew were there.
One of the most satisfying aspects of writing is that it can open in us deep wells of hidden treasures that are beautiful for us as well as for others to see.
Making Our Lives Available to Others
One of the arguments we often use for not writing is this: "I have nothing original to say. Whatever I might say, someone else has already said it, and better than I will ever be able to." This, however, is not a good argument for not writing. Each human person is unique and original, and nobody has lived what we have lived. Furthermore, what we have lived, we have lived not just for ourselves but for others as well. Writing can be a very creative and invigorating way to make our lives available to ourselves and to others.
We have to trust that our stories deserve to be told. We may discover that the better we tell our stories the better we will want to live them.
Sign up for this newsletter at www.henrinouwen.org
Thanks, teacherguy :) Those are helpful words...
Post a Comment
<< Home