Thursday, April 20, 2006

Within the Crystal Ball

As I look through my friends' MySpace profiles, I often come across a standard information quiz which includes the question, "How do you want to die?" A lot of the answers are death by skydiving, and some have gone with the terribly vain and reckless answer of, "I will never die!" But I have been thinking about this question, and I ask myself, how would I want to die? It's really a big question. I mean, none of us have control over how we will actually die, short of a successful suicide (which is not a good thing, of course), but when dreaming of an ideal yet realistic future, death is still an inevitable factor.

So, how do I want to die? Well, I want to die saving someone else's life. It's the ultimate sacrifice, the heroic act. I like to tell myself that it's only the fact that I've saved another's life that's the reason I want to die this way, but I'm not going to kid myself. Part of it is that it's a guaranteed way to be remembered. We are all selfish beings, it's in our nature, and we all want to be in some way immortal, which is possible through the impression we leave on other people. I do, however, take solice in knowing that dying in a blaze of gunfire after a bank robbery and a 30-minute car chase, having taken as many cops with me as I could didn't even register as a possibility. That would certainly leave an impression as well.

Right. Anyway.

The reason this question has stuck in my mind is because I'd like to believe I would actually give my life to save another's. I mean, not just my friends or family, but anyone: a stranger, an enemy, a child, an elder. But you see, one never knows how one would act in such a situation until one is actually experiencing it. My ideal self would make that sacrifice with no hesitation, but my real self, myself at this moment? Who knows? I am quite logical and I tend to think before I act. I'm absolutely sure I would act to save my neice's life, my sister's life, the life of any person I truly care for without a moment's hesitation. But some random, middle aged person? A little old lady? Like I said, that logical, unemotional side says, "I'm a young woman, should I put myself in mortal danger for an elderly person, a person who likely has very few years left anyway?" Still, at the same time, my compassionate side says,"All human life is of equal value." Both make sense to me. The question is, which side would I listen to if the situation presented itself? Obviously, I will only know when and if it happens.

I do know one thing for sure: however it may happen and potential pain notwithstanding, I'm not afraid to die, because I know where I'm going after it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home