Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Breakthrough!

I mentioned in a recent post that Mia has come a long way since her adoption, but I still haven't been able to pick her up. Well, OK, I could pick her up, but I had to hold her hind legs together (there's still claws back there), hold her tight, and resist her struggle. Well, tonight we made a breakthrough!

I was sitting on the floor and Mia crawled into my lap, purring. I decided to take a risk and lightly wrap my arms around her. She continued purring, completely comfortable. I kissed her a few times (which is another thing we had to work up to), then gently lifted her front paws up off my lap. Still, she purred and allowed me to kiss her. So, I took it half a step further and wrapped my other arm around her, holding her up to my chest. She stopped purring, but didn't resist. I held her like that for a few seconds, then gently let her go. She didn't run off, she just pawed around my lap and casually walked away. I was so proud!

Just a few minutes ago, I got brave again. I went upstairs and into my bedroom where I knew Mia was likely dozing. Sure enough, there she was on my bed. I sat next to her and stroked her fur. Immediately she began to purr. I leaned over and kissed her soft head. Then I lifted her front paws up once more. She stopped purring but didn't struggle. I stayed that way with her for a while, kissing her and stroking her. She seemed fine with it. So, I took the plunge. I placed my free hand under her back end, lightly grasping her hind legs and lifted her up off the bed, cradling her chubby kitty body. She was obviously confused, but she didn't fight, she didn't whine. Then I put her back down after a few seconds and that was that.

Let me tell you, it may seem like a little thing, but I am so proud of my kitty! Maybe soon I'll be able to scoop her up like our other kitty! That would be a wonderful blessing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home