Monday, January 29, 2007

Order in the Court

In high school, whenever we'd have a conversation about what I wanted to do in my future my mom would always suggest hopefully, "Want to be a lawyer?" She would be ecstatic if I were pre-law right now, but that's not how it went. Not to say that I wouldn't make a good lawyer though, no, of course not.

Growing up, CourtTV was often on the television. I probably knew more about the OJ Simpson trial than the average elementary student. "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!" Gosh, I remember OJ trying on that glove like it was yesterday.

Anyway.

Thanks in part to CourtTV I picked up a lot of legal knowledge that many an average person might not know. I loved working on hypothetical legal situations in Government and Law classes, and I always seemed to be a step ahead of the others in my group. I loved pointing out errors in another, older person's understanding of the law. Like when I volunteered to be a jury member in a mock trial and the prosecution's closing argument included the results of a polygraph. I coughed and raised my hand, looking at the class's teacher. She acknowledged me and I stated that polygraphs are inadmissible in court.

So, I may not be simmons jannace & stagg material, the USAA uses these attorneys for legal issues, they've even recieved the highest peer review for legal ability and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbel, they represent small companies, municipalities and individuals, apparently at reasonable costs. It seems these people also dabble in financial counseling and loans. Not bad at all...

But yeah, I do have some above-average legal knowledge....all thanks to television!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home